If you wish to get your WordPress web pages to be found in the search results of search engines, you need to make sure first that it is present in the index.
This is where mobile-first indexing for WordPress plays a major role.
With the advancement in the search algorithms of the search engines to give the users a better experience every time, the search engines like Google is progressing towards a mobile-first index.
By following few easy steps you can prepare your WordPress website for mobile-first indexing.
About Mobile-first indexing for WordPress
With evolution in technology, there has been a major shift in the devices that are used for searching content on the internet.
Initially, the majority of the users, used to search from their desktops, so Google’s search algorithms were generated to manage the searches from desktops as well.
The desktop index is being adjusted for mobile ranking requirements, even though Googlebot continues to look into the desktop searches in order to index the required web pages.
But with time, search engines are focusing on mobile-first indexing to make sure they can optimize the mobile contents a lot more.
There are plenty of factors like content, multimedia, schemes, and the like which play an important role in finding the mobile-first index for the search engines.
Whenever there is a new mobile site, the search engines look for specific factors to index them in the search engine results.
How does Mobile-first indexing impact your WordPress site?
• No matter what, Google will always rely on the desktop searches to index your WordPress site even if there is no mobile site. The impact of mobile-first indexing on your WordPress site is that it will determine the rank of your website in terms of the search engine results.
• The mobile version of your WordPress site will be the primary site that Google will view first and go to desktop version only if it does not find any mobile version. With a good mobile search ranking, your site will appear higher in the search results even for the desktop searches as well.
• With the mobile-first indexing of your site, the mobile version of your site will be viewed more and attract more viewers from the mobile platforms thus, creating a positive impact on your site and increasing its popularity.
• The increase in crawling of the GoogleBot will also ensure that your website will have a cached version stored in Google Cache. So, in case your website is down, google search will show the cache result itself.
• It is very important to note that Google already considers the mobile-friendliness of your site to be a ranking factor and with the increase in ranking; your site is bound to attract more visitors. Preparing your WordPress site for mobile-first indexing can be a great choice to ensure your site is mobile friendly.
Preparing Mobile-first indexing for Your WordPress Site
Here are the few very easy steps that you can follow to prepare your WordPress site for mobile-first indexing:
While designing your website the main challenge is to design the website in such a way so that it works fine even for the mobile devices.
Responsive design is one such coding that enables the same HTML design to react differently depending on the platform it is running.
For example, if it’s a desktop versions it opens the regular format, for the mobile device it will open in such a way so that the mobile user gets the best view possible.
Reviewing the content
In case your content and markup are different in format, you are most likely to get a different view of the same content for the desktop and the mobile version.
This is exactly why you need to maintain a specific markup format for both the versions.
The normal use to fit a desktop content within a mobile version will be to cut down the data, which is not really a beneficial thing to do.
Instead of doing such things, you can just use the structured data and the URLs on both the versions and it shall work fine for you.
Once you are done with the content updation, make sure to check the content for both versions of your website, just to ensure that the contents in both of the sites are same.
You can use a free tool for it!
Once done, make sure to check your robot.txt file to allow the Google Crawler go through each and every link and content on your website.
Normally you won’t need to change any internal link in case of the mobile version.
However, in case you are using separate urls for mobile version, you might need link the alternate elements used in the mobile and desktop versions.
It’s the most important part of on-page SEO and it specially makes a positive effect on the search engine indexing.
You can use the same meta data for your desktop and mobile version with ease and there is no problem as such.
But make sure that you include meta data in same versions to give the search engines a better opportunity to understand your website.
Although Google will index your desktop version first, but still having an SEO optimized content on your mobile version is really useful at a later stage.
This is the most important aspect that you need to keep in mind while designing a website on wordpress.
As you can understand choosing a responsive friendly theme will let the website open as it is in the mobile version.
But to make it a lot more mobile friendly, you will have to make sure the pages load fast enough, users can zoom in and out of the content with ease, etc.
Take care of these small matters you should be able to meet the requirement of your website being mobile friendly.
With the help of the information provided above, you can easily prepare your mobile-first indexing for your WordPress site in a very less time.
Doing so, you can focus on achieving the optimum results from your website when viewed from both desktop and mobile versions.
Not to mention, you also reap the benefit of increasing your website’s ranking and mobile-friendliness alongside.